2002 Preservation Awards
Held May 15, 2002 at the Butterworth Center. Preservationist of the Year was award to Tony Castro. Awards were also presented to architect Fred Ebeling (Architectural Excellence in Historic Restoration), and to Curt Roseman (Historical Publication) for his book Stewartville, Illinois: A 19th Century Suburb Created for People of Modest Means.
Since acquiring the property, the owners have spent countless hours working on restoring the exterior and interior of her home. Exterior work has involved the rebuilding of two porches, repairing and tuck pointing the limestone foundation blocks, and repairing the original wood siding before painting the house's exterior with an oil primer. Ms. Imhoff chose to use latex paint for the finish coat on the facade and on all the ornate detailing, replicating the homes original color scheme as determined when areas were disassembled and rebuilt. With minor variations the seven American Heritage colors used on the home were suggested by Valspar design specialist John Crosby Freeman. Mr. Freeman has requested before and after pictures for possible inclusion in a book he is writing about painting older homes.
The color chosen for the facade is Old Ivory. The shingled fish scale gables and bracket accents are done in Stucco gold. The Cornices, tower frieze, corner boards, architraves and porch floors are Vienna Brown. The Crown moldings, window caps, porch rails, spandrels, and cantilever brackets are Midnight Blue Grass. Window sash, porch spindles, arcade spindles, the recess of cantilever brackets and the porch ceiling are Celadon Green. Entry door casings and gable accents are Burgandy Purple. The entry doors have a natural wood finish that complements the beautiful etched glass inserts.
Scarlett Ann Imhoff did most of the painting and repair work herself. Over the past five years she has worked each summer with the only assistance coming from a college student she hired last summer who completed work on the upper gables. The result of her labor is an elegant "painted lady" to rival any found in San Francisco. The home has received some attention recently when it was used as the background for a television commercial and was part of a new educational video produced by the city's Historic Preservation Commission.
When Golden Gables was built, it was considered a two-bedroom cottage. The builder used elegant materials for the main floor with plainer materials for the attic bedrooms. The downstairs has two adjoining parlors, a music room, a dining room, a sewing room, pantry, kitchen, bathroom and small storage room. The stairway to the second floor is located at the rear of the house rather then at the front as is the case in most homes. Unique to this home is the irregular shape of the room walls. There are no ordinary four-walled rooms; there are octagonal-shaped rooms with many curves. It is graced with extraordinary woodwork, including solid oak doors, an ornately crafted portiere doorway, pocket doors in three rooms, and retains the kitchen's original cabinets which have been only slightly altered to accommodate modern appliances.
Theo Brown was employed under a contract agreement with Deere and Company as an inventor engineer and is credited with the invention of a manure spreader during his time with Deere.
The grand nature of the home is apparent by its setting among towering oak trees, some which pre-date the time the house was built. It sits just south of the former C.I. Josephson home, both situated on the bluff overlooking the Mississippi River. The home has nine rooms, which includes the kitchen with original sink and cabinets, dining room, parlor, entry foyer, two fireplaces, front and rear staircases, and numerous leaded glass windows. Each of the homes four bedrooms has its own bathroom with the original fixtures which were of such superb quality that they are all still intact and fully functioning today.
Exterior Residential Restoration
Built: c. 1879
This two-sotry Georgina Colonial revival home was built in 1932 for Louis and Mildred Nordine who would live in the home only two years. Mr. Nordine was a Vice President of the Hermon Nelson Company. The home was purchaes by Laurence and Henrietta Murphy in 1936 and they would live there until 1977. During their ownership, Henrietta hired a young man by the name of Ed Meyers to assist her with the planting of a wildflower garden in the ravine at the back of their home. Her nature arden flourished and continues to blooom each adn every spring. Horticulturusit Ed Meyers went on to become the owner of Moline's well known Meyers Tree Farm. Fred and Donna Ebeling purchased the home in 1979.
Over the years, the home's exterior facade, clad in cedar shingles, had acquired multiple layers of paint. The Ebelings struggled with yearly bouts of house measles, Fred's term for the home's constantly flaking paint. Preferring not to try and chemicaly remove all the paint, and instead of adding aluminium siding, they made the decision in 2000 to remove all of the shingles and replace them with new ones. All the new shingles were hand dipped twice in a transparent soft woody colored stain, in all a process that took two years.
The home includes ten rooms, two full baths and 3 half baths.
Exceptional Stewardship of an Architecturally Significant Home
Designed by local architect William Schultzke, this California Craftsman style bungalow was built in 1927 for Herman Nelson, CEO of the Herman Nelson Corporation. Other owners of the home have included the Hyman Bernstein's, Robert Hacker's, James Coryn's and present owners since 1988, Dr. Peter and Kelly Alward.
The home sits on six acres of land in Moline's Morgan Park neighborhood. The spacious grounds include the one-and-a half story home, and a two story garage with living quarters upstairs, both done in brick with clay tile roofs. There is also a greenhouse and recently rebuilt tennis courts.
The Alward's home has ten rooms, with three bedrooms and a bath located on the second floor. The main floor living room has a fireplace, numerous leaded glass windows and beautiful quarter-sawn red oak floors that the Alwards chose to refinish and expose after removing wall to wall carpeting. An attractive sunroom with a domed ceiling opens off the living room were the floors and walls are covered with tile. The homes master bedroom and bath are also located on the first floor.
1201 21st Avenue
This brick Colonial Revival home was built in 1929 for L.S. Hasselquist, a cashier at Deere & Company. Leta and Harold Brown, President and Treasure of Reynolds Engineering purchased the home in 1937 and lived there until 1981. The home was purchased by James 0. Jenson, an assistant professor at Augustana College, in and 1983 and sold to the present owners Fred and Alice Morrison in 1990.
The home has three rooms, sun room and 1/2 bath on the first floor and four bedrooms and a bath on the second floor. A focal point of the living room is the leaded glass windows on either side of the fireplace and additional leaded glass on the doors of bookcases located on either side of the fireplace. Leaded glass is also located in the sidelight and elliptical fanlight windows in the homes attractive front entryway. The home retains the original brick garage which has a leaded glass fanlight window above the small casement window.
Fred and Alice Morrison have recently been painting and restoring the homes many windows. They have chosen to remove and replace all the glazing on their wooden storm windows, thereby retaining the homes original look. They also have retained and maintained the homes wooden shutters with their unique tree shaped, cutout design.
903 23rd Avenue
Carl P. Erickson built this Dutch Colonial home in 1927 for Frank Miller, a bookkeeper for Velie Automobile Parts and Service Company. Through the years, changes in ownership of the home would include the Joseph Phillips, Ed Miller, Daniel Heitchu, and Bob Fleming before being purchased by Thomas and Nancy Welsh in 1966.
The home has four rooms, a bath and a side porch onthe main floor, and three bedrooms and a bath on the second floor. Of special interest on the interior are the homes two fireplaces and the crown molding found in the living room.
The home's facade is covered with wooden clapboard siding. Several years ago, the Welsh's burned off the accumulation of layers of paint bringing it back to the bare wood. They then put on a fresh application of white paint and rehung the homes blue wooden shutters with their unique acorn cutout. To maintain the homes freshly painted look, the Welches repaint one side of their home each year.
2124 12th Street
This 1 1/2 story tudor brick bungalow was built in 1931 by Gustov Johnson. The design of the home, notable for its front facing curved bay with the leaded glass windows, carries the title of Chicago Style Bungalow, gaining its name from the thousands of similar style homes built in the 1920's and 1930's that line the streets of Chicago's older neighborhoods.
The home has had a number of owners over the years, including Dr. Frank Vermaulen, Thomas McLaughlin of the McLaughlin Body, Co., Dr. Chester Johnson, Mrs. Marie Lundahl, George Galvin, Jack Orr, and Axel Rose. The present owner, Cleon Vandervennet, and her husband, the late Donald Vandervennet, purchased the home in 1984.
In 1985, the Vandervennet's releaded their front bay windows on both sides, using supplies and advice from the late John Brodd, glass expert and owner of Landin's Lamps. The colors of glass displayed are of cream, pink and blue done in a craftsman design. In 2001, a contractor repainted all the exposed wood on the gable, and made repairs to the stucco as needed.
The home has five rooms on the main floor, and two bedrooms on the second floor. There are hardwood floors throughout, cove molding, glass door knobs, and the original blue and white hexagon tile in the main bathroom which was discovered when the Vandervennets's removed previously laid carpeting.
2530 13th Street
This 1920's colonial home was designed and built by noted architect William Schulzke for he and his wife Florence. Mr. Schulzke is credited with designing a large number of architecturally significant structures throughout the city of Moline. Some examples of his work are the Scottish Rite Cathedral, the former Elks building, the Moline Post Office, the First Congregational Church, John Deere Middle School, Wharton Field House, the Woodcock home, the Staack home and the Nutt/Kreiter Home.
The Schulzke's lived in their home until 1942 during which time they made some changes to the structure, the most notable being the two-story addition to the east side. Other owners of the property have been, the Willis Kuschmann's, and the Bernard Ritzenger's. Present owners, Theo and Katherine Grevas purchased the property in 1991.
The Grevas's had the house painted in 2001 by Jack Ide using light taupe color for the facade accented with white trim. They relined the yankee gutters with copper and added a railing around the perimeter of the porch roof. While grading for a new driveway north of the home, they unearthed an old foundation that could once have been for a garage.
Theo and Katherine enlarged the kitchen using plans drawn by one of this years awards recipients, architect Fred Ebeling. The home has six rooms and a bath on the first floor, four bedrooms, dressing room and 1 3/4 baths on the second floor. The dinning room and the master bedroom have leaded glass windows, and the living room and dining room have cove molding and pictures rails.
2308 13th Street
This eight room Dutch Colonial home was built in 1923 for Harold Engstrom, assistant cashier for Peoples Savings Bank and Trust. The home was designed by noted local architects Whitsitt and Schulzke. The owner of the home in the 1970's was former Moline Mayor Buck Wendt. Current owners are John and Tina Mickiewietz who purchased the home in 1990.
The Mickiewietz's recently repainted the exterior of their home in an attractive five color paint scheme. They chose two shades of gray for the facade, a deep purple for the wooden shutters and for the decorative pillars at the front entry way. They used a softer purple above the entry door and on the entry canopy brackets . Windows and soffits were done in white giving the home a striking appearance. An interesting side note, Morney Gomez, the painter hired by John and Tina, painted a nearby neighbors house that won a preservation award for them last year. John and Tina also replaced all their old storm windows and screens with new wooden ones replicating the style of the original.
1161 26th Street
This two-story Craftsman style home was built in 1916 by Carpenter Carl Swanson for he and his wife Ellen. Owners of the property from 1923 until 1948 were Lillie and Robert Montgomery. Robert Montgomery and his three brothers founded the Montogomery Elevator Company.
Chuck Steward and Beth Carvey-Stewart purchased the home in 1987 and have since been working on a number of interior and exterior restoration projects. They painted the exterior of their home in 1999 using a four color paint scheme. The body of the facade is light gray, with the gables painted a darker gray. The window casements are trimmed in dark red with the wooden storm windows in light gray and a dark green on the crown molding trim over the windows. The painting was done by Mike Baker of Artio's Painting. The Stewarts chose to remove their "crummy, cheapo aluminum storm windows" and had architecturally and historically correct new custom-made wooden storms made by Midwest Architectural Wood Products.
The interior of the home displays its vernacular craftsman-style on woodwork, stairway and built in bookcase and in its three rectangular decorative craftsman style windows. The Stewarts removed "horrible 1960's era pressed board ceiling tiles" from their dinning room ceiling restoring the original plastered ceiling. They restored the kitchen which had previously been damaged from a broken water pipe and repaired damage found in several locations the result of termites.
John Deere Collectors Center
320 16th Street
Adaptive Reuse of a Historic Building
Built: c. 1885
Built in 1885 by the Davis brothers, this historic building is Italianate in style. In their large basement boiler and pump room, the Davis brothers converted power from the nearby Mississippi river into electricity for the cities of Moline and Rock Island. In later years, the property was owned by Moline Heat Company with several additions added behind the original structure. Moline Heat vacated the property in 1993 and the building then sat empty for several years. City planners along with redevelopment consultant Brian Vandewalle pondered what adaptive reuse could be found for this unique property.
LuAnn Haydon, manager of the John Deere Pavilion and Deere Foundation Facilities, related that visitors to the Pavilion indicated they wanted to see more of the early 2-cylinder Deere tractors. The idea took form and grew into plans to recreate a 1950s-era dealership complete with a showroom, parts department, and repair department. Those looking at the former Moline Heat Company property now saw the perfect adaptive reuse for this large facility.
Renovation to the structure, oth inside and out, has been extensive. The buildings were power washed, tuck pointed, and all given attractive new period windows. The pressed copper frieze was painted in several colors bringing out its ornate details. Considerable work was also done to the stone foundation and the massive iron pillars located on the original buildings rail loading dock. The addition of a glassed-in showroom completed the 50's dealership look. As a final touch, period signage was added along with a tall iron fence with attractive entry gates that encloses the south and east side exterior display area.
Work on the inside of the 1885 building included stripping woodwork and floor surfaces and installing an elevator. The area now provides attractive space for offices, meeting rooms and rest rooms. A gift shop area is yet to be completed.
Space for displaying restored 2-cylinder tractors, a restoration work bay, a paint bay, a parts department and a display area of antique collectables fits perfectly in the adjoining renovated warehouse structure.
It is indeed a pleasure to recognize the John Deere Foundation for bringing to the John Deere Commons yet another unique historic attraction. Since its Grand Opening last August, the Collectors Center has proven to be of great interest to the young and old, to local citizens and visiting tourists. All should benefit from learning more of the history of John Deere and seeing first hand the historic Deere farm implements now so sought after and treasured by antique collectors.
The western segment of this brick Italianate style hotel was built in 1868 and was know as the Wilhelm Tell Haus or Germania Haus. It was built at the end of the American Civil War to accommodate the thousands of German immigrants fleeing religious oppression in northern Germany. Some stayed at the hotel before locating in the area, while others continued on, making their way further west. German immigrant and Davenport soda water manufacturer John Fredrich Miller, purchased the hotel in 1876 and more than doubled its size by adding a four story addition to the buildings east side and adding a fourth floor to the original hotel building. An ornate metal cornice with a small rendering of the Goddess of Germany, completed the more upscale look of the new Miller Hotel. Mr. Miller operated the hotel until his death in 1889, along with a restaurant, billiard parlor, saloon and a popular ball room located on the hotel's fourth floor.
In 1906 the hotel was known as the Arcade Hotel. In 1917 it became Henry Blessing Boarding House and in 1924 it became the Standard Hotel. The Standard acquired its name when it was leased by the owners of the adjoining Standard Oil Tire and Battery store and the Standard Oil gas station. It would remain the Standard Hotel until it was closed in 1990. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
The German American Heritage organization was founded in 1994 as a non-profit corporation, dedicated to preserving the heritage of immigrants who came to the Quad Cities from German speaking areas of Europe. Their goal was to establish a library, an archives and a museum. Seeing the potential for realizing their dream, the board of directors purchased the Standard Hotel in 1995. They hired architects Bracke, Hayes, and Miller and contractors Story Construction Company and E & H Restoration to help with the restoration of this historic building. Those of us entering Davenport from the Centennial Bridge were overjoyed to see this historic building gradually coming back to life again. There had been rumors that Seven-Eleven wanted to locate a store on the property following demolition of the old hotel. Fortunately that did not happen!
Working with historic preservation agencies and following accepted preservation standards, the group has carefully restored the exterior facade. This included repairing the roof, power washing and tuck pointing the brick, replacing all the windows, rebuilding the street level facades and repainting the ornate cornice incorporating the buildings attractive four color paint scheme. Plans call for an elevator and stair tower to be built on the north or rear side of the building allowing access to all floors. Interior work has provided space on the main floor for a video viewing area, museum, gift shop and meeting area.